MONROE COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING MINUTES
1. At a Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Monroe County Library System held on January 10, 2005 at the Ellis Reference and Information Center , the meeting was called to order by Chairperson Catharine Calder. Roll call by Secretary Larry Gregory follows:
Present: Catharine Calder, Chair; Fred Lux, Vice-Chair; Larry Gregory, Secretary; Elizabeth Taylor and MaryAnn Bourque, Trustees; Nancy Colpaert, Director; and Diane Fetterly, Recording Secretary.
Staff: Nancy Bellaire, Rachel Braden, Paula Loop
A quorum being present, the Board proceeded to transact business.
2. Motion by Vice-Chair Lux, supported by Secretary Gregory, to accept the agenda as amended. Motion carried.
3. Motion by Vice-Chair Lux, supported by Trustee Bourque, to accept the minutes of the regular board meeting December 20, 2004 as printed. Motion carried.
4. Motion by Trustee Taylor, supported by Vice-Chair Lux, to accept the minutes of the budget workshop November 17, 2004.
5. Public Comment - none
6. Paula Loop, Software Specialist, demonstrated the new web page. She said the new design is user friendly, the graphics encourage surfing the web. A separate page pops up so that the MCLS site is always there. She reviewed the various topics available. She is working on a form how to contact reference by email and a discussion group will be added to the TechWeb heading at a later date.
7. Consent Agenda
Motion by Vice-Chair Lux, supported by Secretary Gregory, to accept the items on the consent agenda, including the December 2004 Financial Report, and place on file. Motion carried.
8. Committee Reports
Chair Calder said the committee hasn't heard back from Milan Public Library regarding the reciprocal borrowing agreement. Director Colpaert will review schedules provided by the general insurance agent, updating data such as the age of branch facilities and the value of their collections. The worker's compensation insurance premium is expected to decrease because of reduction in claims.
Policy and Personnel Committee
Community Partnering Committee
Chair Lux said the Technology Plan has been approved by the State. WiFi is up and running at Ellis and Bedford branches, as is the automated self-checkout. Signage will be purchased for these areas.
Meeting later this month.
Director Colpaert extended an invitation to new legislature members Herb Kehrl and Kathy Angerer.
9. Unfinished Business
Milan Public Library Board meets tomorrow night (Jan. 11). There was an article in the Monroe Evening News on December 31 that stated that Milan is going to their voters (City of Milan residents) to seek a .5 mill increase in February. They have put their building plans on hold.
10. New Business
Motion by Vice-Chair Lux, supported by Trustee Taylor, to approve payment of the bills for the month ending December 30, 2004 in the amount of $773,129.09. Motion carried.
11. Director's Report
Director Colpaert said staff has started out the year reviewing the strategic plan. A committee is visiting branch libraries on Fridays to address technology and other issues with branch staff.
There is a new Storytime brochure for winter; it has a little color added to it. The Monroe Evening News has been running lots of pictures of various programming throughout the system.
Board members, along with Interloan and Cataloging staff are invited to participate in the Woodlands Spring Retreat May 19 th and 20 th . Jeff Johnson, former WLC director, has been hired as facilitator of the retreat.
12. Board Comments
Board members thanked and praised Ms. Loop for a fantastic job done on updating the new web page design.
Vice-Chair Lux received word from the Monroe County Commissioners that no one else has sought the vacancy on the library board, and that he will automatically be reappointed to the board for another five year term.
Secretary Gregory asked about the marketing plan for the new website. He was told bookmarks will be made and an article will be published in local school and government newsletters. Mr. Gregory said "what a positive way to start out the New Year!"
Chair Calder congratulated Vice-Chair Lux on his reappointment. She asked that the library develop a policy for open/close procedures in the event of bad weather. Director Colpaert will check with other area libraries as to their policies. She thanked the Technology staff and committee members for extending themselves to offer better public service and tech support to those in need of it. She is impressed with the efforts being made.
13. Public Comment - none.
Date of Next Board Meeting - Monday, February 14, 2005 @ 6:00 p.m., at the Frenchtown-Dixie Branch Library, 2881 Nadeau Rd., Monroe.
Motion by Vice-Chair Lux, supported by Secretary Gregory, to adjourn the meeting at 6:55 p.m. Motion carried.
Larry Gregory, Secretary
Catharine Calder, Chairperson