1. At a Budget Workshop of the Board of Trustees of the Monroe County Library System held on November 9, 2005 at 5:00 p.m. at the Ellis Reference and Information Center, the meeting was called to order by Chairperson Cathe' Calder. Roll call by Secretary Betsy Taylor as follows:
Present: Catharine Calder, Chair; Laurence Gregory, Vice-Chair; Elizabeth Taylor, Secretary; Fred Lux, Trustee; MaryAnn Bourque, Trustee; Nancy Colpaert, Director; and Diane Ohlemacher, Recording Secretary.
Staff: Nancy Bellaire
A quorum being present, the Board proceeded to transact business.
2. Motion by Trustee Bourque, supported by Trustee Lux, to accept the agenda as presented. Motion carried.
3. Public Comment - None.
4. Budget Workshop
Director Colpaert said the purpose of this meeting is to look at revenue and expenditure assumptions for the 2006 budget. We will then present it to the public by December 1, 2006 and have it adopted by the board at the December 19 th board meeting.
By the end of October, we have received 98.56% of our anticipated revenues. Expenses for the year are 76.03%. We should finish the year with a healthy fund balance. Property taxes for 2005 showed a 4.73% increase and we should make our penal fine budget of $900,000 if $45,000 is received in the months of November and December.
An email from Nancy Robertson, director of the Library of Michigan, announced that state aid will be 35.9 cents per capita for 2006, a reduction from the current 43.6 cents.
5. Motion by Trustee Lux, supported by Vice-Chair Gregory, to add four steps to the current 12 step staff salary scale in all grades. Motion carried.
6. Motion by Trustee Lux, supported by Trustee Bourque, to consider a 2-3% salary increase for staff at Monday night's board meeting when presented with a spreadsheet itemizing salary increase increments. Motion carried.
7. Motion by Secretary Taylor, supported by Trustee Lux, to set the board compensation for 2006 the same, $50 a meeting.
8. Motion by Vice-Chair Gregory, supported by Trustee Bourque, to not fund the Milan reciprocal agreement line item in the 2006 budget. Motion carried.
9. Motion by Secretary Taylor, supported by Vice-Chair Gregory, to add line items Material Recovery fees, AFLAC, and Gates Foundation to the 2006 budget.
10. Board Comments
Trustees thanked Director Colpaert and her staff for their work on the budget. They said it is nice to have funds to work with, and to be able to tuck money aside to remain innovative.
11. Public Comment - none
12. Announcements - Date of Next Board Meeting - Monday, December 19, 2005, 6:00 p.m., Ellis Reference and Information Center .
Meeting adjourned at 6:05 p.m. Motion carried.
Betsy Taylor, Secretary
Catharine Calder, Chairperson
Click here to go back to Board of Trustees Meetings for 2005