History of South Rockwood Branch Library
The South Rockwood branch of the Monroe County Library System began as a bookmobile stop in the South Rockwood Post Office. In late January of 1952, the South Rockwood Branch opened in the South Rockwood community building. The branch opened for 10 hours a week with a collection of about 1,500 titles.
In 1966 the branch was moved into the remodeled quarters, the remodeled room formerly was occupied by a restaurant. The room formerly used by the library was remodeled into a meeting room for the Berlin Township Board.
In August 2005 Berlin Township sold the building occupied by the South Rockwood Library, with the agreement that the library would remain in the building. The new owner remodeled the rest of the building for a business and a non-profit organization. The exterior of the building was also remodeled along with the parking lot.
The library closed in May of 2006 for renovations. Renovations to the library included a new front door, a new energy efficient front window, a handicapped accessible bathroom and an emergency exit at the back of the building. The township painted the interior, put new lighting in the main room and placed carpeting in the library. The library reopened on April 12, 2007.
South Rockwood Branch Library Librarians
1942-1952 Catherine Normandin
1952-1955 Betty Jean Campau
1955-1958 Marian Haut
1958-1961 Ruth Holten
1961-1977 Mary Belle Withey
1978-2005 Judith Lafleur
2005-Present David Ross