Bygones of Monroe:
26 LEAVE TODAY FOR C.C.C. CAMP
The largest contingent of Monroe county young men to enter the civilian conservation corps since the first detachment was prepared to leave for Camp Custer, by way of Detroit, this afternoon. There were 26 in the group, six from Monroe.
The men went to the county farm on the South Custer road where they were registered for service by Captain E.O. Dry, Captain J.E. Roberts, Master Sergeant Chester Hamsher and Staff Surgeon Arthur J. Vandich, all of Fort Wayne, Detroit. The officers were assisted by Miss Gertrude Nickels, Miss Mary Walter, and Miss Helen Kirschner.
They were given dinner at Mothers Kitchen and then were taken to the Michigan Central tracks where a special coach awaited them. The train was to leave Monroe for Detroit at 3:20 p.m.
Franklin Gee, of Dundee was place in charge. Others entering the corps include: Norman Sisty and Russell Jenne of Dundee, Edgar Bentley of Erie, Otto Moede of Frenchtown, Arthur Douge of Samaria, Ben Drewiour of LaSalle, Joseph Biscay of Whiteford, Herbert L. Warner of Ida, Walter Grames of Erie, Patrick Watson and Russell Liedel of Maybee, Tobias Antieau and Steve Shyloski of Newport, Henry Rise and john McCrea of Milan, Charles Dubowsky of Monroetown, Lewis Bofia of Petersburg, Maxwell Hootse and Leonard Neifert of Carleton, Nelson Burbo, Orville Miller, Arnold Shavalis, Ed Zimmerman, Ed Morgan, and Harry Crossman of Monroe.
(Monroe Evening News, Oct. 2, 1933, p.1, col. 3)