Bygones of Monroe:
WILLIAM BOLES DIES IN FLORIDA
William Bolles, who pioneered in the development of lake property in Monroe county and gave his name to the Bolles Harbor subdivision, died at his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, this morning according to telegrams received by friends here. Burial services are to be held Saturday.
Mr. Bolles, a native of Toledo where he was engaged in manufacturing enterprises, came to Monroe in 1921 and developed Bolles Harbor, three miles southeast of Monroe, from a section of marshes and creeks to a community of year around facilities. A large clubhouse was built for lot owners and by 1928 the development represented an investment of over $125,000. The resort had an athletic field, playground equipment, boathouse, tennis court, three room school and other facilities including one of the best boating harbors in the area.
Mr. Bolles left Monroe about five years ago to make his home in Fort Lauderdale. He had been in failing health for some time due to a diabetic condition and submitted to a leg amputation below the knee on January 20, 1945. He had recently received an artificial leg and letters to friends indicated some difficulty in becoming adjusted to it.
He is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Bonner and daughters of the late Colonel and Mrs. J.C. Bonner; and three children, Mrs. Morris Kennedy, Lloyd Joe Bolles of the Army Air Force and William Bolles of the U.S. Coast Guard.
(Monroe Evening News, January 24, 1946, p1, col 2)