Find a Branch
Bedford Branch Library (734) 847-6747
Blue Bush Branch Library (734) 242-4085
Carleton Branch Library (734) 654-2180
Dorsch Memorial Branch Library (734) 241-7878
Dundee Branch Library (734) 529-3310
Ellis Library & Reference Center (734) 241-5277
Erie Branch Library (734) 848-4420
Frenchtown-Dixie Branch Library (734) 289-1035
Ida Branch Library (734) 269-2191
L.S. Navarre Branch Library (734) 241-5577
Maybee Branch Library (734) 587-3680
Newport Branch Library (734) 586-2117
Rasey Memorial Branch Library (734) 848-4572
Robert A. Vivian Branch Library (734)241-1430
South Rockwood Branch Library (734) 379-3333
Summerfield-Petersburg Branch Library (734) 279-1025
Bedford Branch Library
8575 Jackman Rd. Temperance, MI 48182 Phone: (734) 847-6747
Fax: (734) 847-6591
Sun: 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
Mon - Thu: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
more information
Blue Bush Branch Library
Blue Bush Branch Library
2210 Blue Bush Road Monroe, MI 48162-9643 Phone: (734) 242-4085
Fax: (734) 242-4085
Mon - Tue: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
Wed: 1:00 pm-8:00 pm
Thu: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-2:00 pm
more information
Carleton Branch Library
Carleton Branch Library
1444 Kent Street Carleton, MI 48117-0267 Phone: (734) 654-2180
Fax: (734) 654-8767
Mon: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tue - Wed: 9:00 am-8:00 pm
Thu: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
more information
Dorsch Memorial Branch Library
Dorsch Memorial Branch Library
18 East First Street Monroe, MI 48161-2227 Phone: (734) 241-7878
Fax: (734) 241-7879
Mon - Tue: 9:00 am-8:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am-8:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
more information
Dundee Branch Library
Dundee Branch Library
144 East Main Street Dundee, MI 48131-1202 Phone: (734) 529-3310
Fax: (734) 529-7415
Mon: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am-6:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-2:00 pm
more information
Ellis Library & Reference Center
Ellis Library & Reference Center
3700 South Custer Rd. Monroe 48161-9716 Phone: (734) 241-5277
Toll Free: (800) 462-2050
Fax: (734) 242-9037
Sun: 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
Mon - Thu: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
more information
Erie Branch Library
Erie Branch Library
2065 Erie Rd. Erie, MI 48133-9757 Phone: (734) 848-4420
Mon: 2:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Thu: 2:00 pm-6:00 pm
Fri: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
more information
Frenchtown-Dixie Branch Library
Frenchtown-Dixie Branch Library
2881 Nadeau Monroe, MI 48162-9355 Phone: (734) 289-1035
Fax: (734) 289-3867
Mon - Tue: 9:00 am-8:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Thu: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
more information
Ida Branch Library
Ida Branch Library
3016 Lewis Ave. Ida, MI 48140-0056 Phone: (734) 269-2191
Fax: (734) 269-3315
Mon: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Wed - Fri: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-1:00 pm
more information
L.S. Navarre Branch Library
Navarre Branch Library
1135 East Second Street Monroe, MI 48161-1920 Phone: (734) 241-5577
Fax: (734) 241-5577
Mon: 1:00 pm-6:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
Wed - Thu: 1:00 pm-6:00 pm
Fri - Sat: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
more information
Maybee Branch Library
Maybee Branch Library
9060 Raisin St. Maybee, MI 48159-0165 Phone: (734) 587-3680
Fax: (734) 587-3680
Mon: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Tue: 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am-2:00 pm
more information
Newport Branch Library
8120 N. Dixie Hwy. Newport, MI 48166-9703 Phone: (734) 586-2117
Fax: (734) 586-1116
Mon: 12:00 pm-6:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am-8:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am-6:00 pm
Thu: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-2:00 pm
more information
Rasey Memorial Branch Library
Rasey Memorial Branch Library
4349 Oak, Box 416 Luna Pier, MI 48157-4572 Phone: (734) 848-4572
Fax: (734) 848-4572
Mon: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm-8:00 pm
Wed: 2:00 pm-6:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Fri: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
Sat: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
more information
Robert A. Vivian Branch Library
2664 Vivian Road Monroe, MI 48162-9212 Phone: (734)241-1430
Fax: (734)241-1430
Mon: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Wed: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am-2:00 pm
Fri: 12:00 pm-5:00 pm
more information
South Rockwood Branch Library
12776 Dixie Hwy. P.O. Box 47 S. Rockwood, MI 48179 Phone: (734) 379-3333
Fax: (734) 379-3333
Mon: 10:00 am-1:00 pm
Tue: 1:00 pm-6:00 pm
Wed: 1:00 pm-8:00 pm
Thu: 2:00 pm-6:00 pm
Fri: 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
more information
Summerfield-Petersburg Branch Library
Summerfield-Petersburg Branch Library
60 East Center St. Petersburg, MI 49270 Phone: (734) 279-1025
Fax: (734) 279-2328
Mon - Tue: 10:00 am-7:00 pm
Wed: 12:00 pm-8:00 pm
Thu: 3:00 pm-8:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Sat: 10:00 am-1:00 pm
more information
Nov
22
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
5:00 PM
Dorsch Downtown Tree Lighting
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today
No more events today

Banner Oak School

 

A Monroe County Rural School 1871 - 1948 

Bedford District #6 - Grades 1-8
A part of Bedford Rural Agricultural School 
1948 - 1956 for Grades 4, 5, & 6
Presently a Turn-of-the-Century Living History Museum 
Operated by the Historical Society of Bedford, Inc.

 

History of Banner Oak School

The history of Banner Oak School begins back before Civil War days when the Julius L. Sterns family settled on a piece of property near this location. An old tax bill of 1853 shows a wooden frame schoolhouse was on the N.E. corner of Crabb and Sterns Roads. Known as the Lord School, it was used from at least 1853 until 1871.

During the Civil War, Sterns hung an American flag from the huge oak tree in the schoolyard. Legend has it that he said whichever side the flag falls would win the war. During a severe storm, the banner fell...and the rest is history.

By 1871, the little wooden Lord School was crammed to capacity. The new school, brick this time, was built just across the road. Still called LORD SCHOOL, it would later be named "BANNER OAK" after that memorable legend. It housed the children of the district from Dean Road, one mile North, to the Ohio State line, one and one-half miles South. It extended East to the district line of Morin School and West to Lewis Avenue. The School Board and parents provided the best education of its kind for their children. In 1932, they had hot lunches and visits from the County Nurse. Up to 1933, County Exams were taken in Temperance.

This brick school is 125 years old in 1996. It served as a one-room schoolhouse with grades one through eight until 1929. A student body of fifty-two children and one teacher made its facilities so crowded that a portable classroom was built on the east side to house a second teacher and the lower four grades. Banner Oak was a two-room school until the end of the 1947-48 school year. Then it became part of the recently (1946) consolidated Bedford Rural Agricultural School system. Banner Oak was the last rural school in the area to do so. The two room school then housed fourth, fifth and sixth graders until it was closed at the end of the 1955-56 school year. The school bell was removed for safe keeping and the school stood alone for some time.

The Township Board bought the school for $1 and used it until the early sixties as a voting precinct. During the sixties it was used for services of Bedford Missionary Baptist Church and was a branch of the Monroe County Y.M.C.A. The portable building was destroyed by fire in the early seventies.

In 1973, the Little Theater Group of Bedford became interested in remodeling the schoolhouse for a Community Theater and many articles appeared in the Bedford Courier. They had hoped to have it ready for the Bicentennial in 1976, but to no avail.

In 1978, another effort was launched and friends and alumni of Banner Oak were attracted to the project of restoring the old school. With two efforts of raising funds, $1,500 was obtained from several old families of the Alumni and some local businesses. Through their efforts and with much help from the members of the Historical Society of Bedford, Banner Oak School has now been restored as a one-room school and is on the Michigan State Register of Historic Sites. It is the only building in our township that is so designated. On May 18, 1986, Banner Oak School was rededicated at a special ceremony to help celebrate the 150th anniversary of Bedford Township.

- Trudy Urbani, author of A History of Banner Oak School, 1996.

Today, with the aid of volunteers from the Historical Society of Bedford and the Banner Oak Alumni, Banner Oak School has become a Living History Museum. Local teachers bring their students to spend a day in the manner their grandparents or great-grandparents did at the turn of the century.

Banner Oak History in publications

A History of Banner Oak School has been written by Trudy Urbani in cooperation with the Historical Society of Bedford and the Banner Oak Alumni and published by the Monroe County Library System as the first volume in a projected series of local history books, "A Bedford Sampler." The books are available to view at the Bedford Branch Library or Ellis Library & Reference Center Reference Departments.

About the author:  Trudy Wieske Urbani and her husband Aldo have lived in Bedford Township over 25 years. They have two children who attended Bedford Public Schools and two grandchildren. A graduate of the University of Toledo, the author has taught the gifted students in both Bedford and Jefferson Elementary Schools, retiring in 1993. As current president of the Historical Society of Bedford, she felt it important to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of Banner Oak School with a book relating it's history.  "By documenting some of the past, I hope to renew an interest in the local history of Bedford Township," she wrote in 1996. "This and future generations deserve to know where they came from, so they can help determine where they are going with their lives."