South Rockwood Branch Library to Get a New Home!
The Monroe County Library System is pleased for the opportunity to expand its services in the South Rockwood community! Thanks to a partnership between the Village of South Rockwood and Sylvania Minerals, a new South Rockwood Library and Town Hall udpate is scheduled to be built later this year.
“This project really has come to fruition through the efforts of the Village of South Rockwood,” said Nancy Bellaire, Director of the Monroe County Library System. “The Library is thrilled that the Village has included us in its development plans. The prominent location next to the school and park has already generated buzz and enthusiasm with families and educators alike. We can’t wait to welcome everyone.”
The South Rockwood Branch began as a bookmobile stop in the South Rockwood Post Office. In late January of 1952, the South Rockwood Branch opened in the South Rockwood community building. At the time the branch opened for just 10 hours a week, with a collection of about 1,500 titles.
Plans for the New Building
- The new Library will be located at 5676 Carleton Rockwood Road, South Rockwood, Michigan, to be a part of the expanded Village Hall. The new building will feature:
- 3,500 square feet dedicated to the Library.
- An additional 1,000 square feet included for a vestibule with restrooms.
- There will also be a new 2,000 square foot Community Room in the building.
- Connected to all of this will be additional space for the Village Hall office.
The new Library space will offer access to a Community Room, two new study rooms, a beautiful fireplace, and additional computers for patron use-- including one computer reserved especially for children.
“Our South Rockwood staff is excited about the possibilities of the new space and features,” said Director Bellaire. “Stay tuned for more news in the coming months.”